Friday, August 1, 2014

Paint Like a Spaniard



This September I'll be collaborating with the Musicians of Ma'alwyck of their concert The Bullfighter's Dream. I'll be inviting the audience into my studio through a series of videos, and a live performance with the musicians, during which I will complete the painting.

Up until this point I've been planning my composition, and rehearsing the painting. I've made at least 20 sketches and studies, with more to go. A cellist isn't expected to come up with an original composition for each concert. But each musician brings something of their own creative interpretation to each piece they perform. As I thought about this, I decided to reinterpret a painting by one of my favorite Spanish painters, Joaquín Sorolla. The detail above was taken from a painting in the collection of J. Paul Getty Museum. This is the sort bold brushwork I'm hoping to emulate.

Over the next few weeks leading up to the performance, I'll post sketches and details.

No comments:

Post a Comment