Monday, September 1, 2014

A New Direction


I ended up taking an unexpected detour with the composition for this painting. I was happy with the previous study, but on Thursday I had a few free hours and decided to try something different. Unfortunately I was out of prepared canvasses, so I did the study on some scrap boards I found in the trash bin of the theatre's woodshop. None of the corners are true, and it was painted with metallic silver latex paint. Even after a quick imprimatura with burnt sienna the iridescence comes through.

Despite these material irregularities, I liked the result, so I spent the rest of the day re-grounding, re-composing, and re-drawing. I think it'll be a big improvement. The new pose, with my model in profile, feels more candid and lively than the previous pose.

No comments:

Post a Comment